Monday, May 2, 2011

Tender Love

Without winter there will be no spring, without sadness no place to amount happiness, without death there is not life.
Our soldier has been given 4 weeks.
From this place of pain and sadness and loss, I watch my Grandmother care for our soldier in his last weeks of life. And it is the most humbling and inspiring act I have ever witnessed.
From her devotion to his comfort, at the sacrifice of her own, is incredible beauty. Heart wrenching pain and outstanding beauty. A glimpse into their tender love.
Their love was born from the time of courting, letter writing, and hand holding. She would watch her soldier leave for far off war torn countries and hold her breath for his return. Their love is from a time like no other.
Our soldier has a mighty heart; he is built of fine values and full of good morals and kind words. Our soldier has been fighting his last battle for 8 months, fighting not for a country or a flag but fighting for his best friend. His one love. Fighting his last battle for his true love.
When he is strong enough to sit up in bed, I watch their eyes lock, I see their fingers entwine, a sweet tender kiss, a sigh, a nod, they almost seem to read each other’s minds. After 54 years I imagine they do.
When he cannot sit up I watch my Grandmother care for our soldier, no words need be spoken, she knows what he needs, he knows she is there. We all are.
Without winter there will be no spring, without sadness no place to amount happiness, without death there is not life.
Their love will endure beyond this life. They couldn’t be more perfect for one another.  

Love J x

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry J, these are beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me cry. So beautifully written...

    ReplyDelete
  3. such beautiful words, all my love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen
    I can see the great love that you have for both your grandparents
    They have given you such a gift...for you to be able to see and recognise the deep devotion they have for each other
    They are people of deep character with great strength and wonderful souls
    A true inspiration
    My love to you all
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart goes out to you in this time, thank you for being brave enough to share your pain with us. We are here in some way sharing the journey. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We (your readers) love you! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your words of support. The kindness of a stranger will never cease to amaze me. You are all so beautiful. Thank you.

    Love J x

    ReplyDelete